Cloud Hosting has revolutionised the dynamics of web hosting. If offers businesses to scale server resources from their very own dashboard as per their requirement. Additionally, the reliability and security it achieves are unmatched. There are many Cloud Hosting providers in India. However, it is important to configure the setting in a way that could help your website reap the potential benefits of Cloud Hosting.
One such configuration is making use of a Content Delivery Network (CDN).
What is CDN?
The basic idea behind a CDN is to reduce the time taken by the server to process any requests by the browser. It is a network of servers which is spread across the globe. When a user requests content from a website, it is fetched from the most proximate location, also known as an edge server, thereby reducing the time. This not only decreases loading time but also enhances user experience and satisfaction.
Advantages of using a CDN
- Faster performance: The biggest advantage a CDN provides for your website is that it increases the speed at which it loads by reducing the latency. Research suggests that on average, using a CDN lowered the latency by a staggering 73%. Not only that it reduced the total load time by an average of 50%.
- Faster bandwidth: Using a CDN can free up the bandwidth on your server, thus putting less stress on them. Traditional hosting plans cannot keep pace with such huge demands. However, Cloud Hosting provides the user with an option to scale the resources as per their needs.
- SEO: Page speed has become an essential factor in the SEO algorithm. The faster your website is, the more chance it has to show up on the top of the search engine.
- Reliability: If the nearest POP server is down, the CDN passes the request to the next proximate location, thereby ensuring uptime for your website. It ensures a lesser bounce rate from your website.
- Traffic surge: Heavy sudden surge in traffic can put lots of strain on the server, which may cause them to cripple. However, using a CDN takes most of the burden from the server. This ensures scaling by avoiding downtime at peak hours.
- Security: CDN is particularly efficient in guarding against a DDoS attack on your website. CDN also provides SSL certificate which ensures data is encrypted and then transmitted between a CDN network and the server.
- Simple integration: Most websites can easily integrate CDN without any difficulty and technical knowhow.
- Cost-Effective: For the benefits they provide, they are cost-effective as well. There are many free and paid services available in the market which can easily integrate with your website.
Who should use a CDN?
Although any website can benefit from CDN, yet some websites are more susceptible to downtime and are preferable candidates for installing them.
- E-commerce: These websites can get massive traffic, especially during the holiday seasons. Also, additional security features are required for conducting transactions on an e-commerce website.
- Government: Sensitive and heavy contents can easily be delivered through CDN
- Mobile Apps: CDN is beneficial in providing location-based content through mobile apps.
Cloud Hosting has emerged to be the most secure hosting plan that ensures high page load speeds. Content Delivery Network augments Cloud Hosted websites by caching content to the closest network servers and thus, delivers content faster than the original server.